Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Happy Election Day! In celebration of democracy some observations from Kid President! LINK He reminds us to be filled with love, be awesome, and fill others with love. “How To Change The World (a work in progress) | Kid President”
Academic Recognition/Care Depot Night LINK (Monday, 11/20) KHSCD Honor Roll Students’ Check-In begins at 6pm; Program in Knight’s Theater @ 6:30pm
Please join us in celebrating our Quarter 1 Honor Roll students! The News & Observer’s retired columnist, Barry Saunders, and local hipster/photographer Tyrone Demery will help us explore why we want our teens to be original. Saunders and Demery are both intellectuals that use their unique perspective and creativity to make the world better. Honor Roll students will be recognized on stage, and all attending students are encouraged to visit the PTSA table to get their raffle ticket for door prizes. Care Depot donations are encouraged (see below). Committee: Mona Chevis, Glenda Brooks, Judy Boone, Gina Chambers, and Shannon Hardy
Winter Wonderland Dance (Friday, 12/15) 8-11pm KHSCD Gym
The students were fabulous at the fall Homecoming Dance, and the SGA and PTSA are collaborating again for a holiday semi-formal! Freshman PTSA parent Thomas Beam will be present to take professional photographs to be shared digitally. There is no cost to attend. Students simply need to RSVP – coming soon. All concessions items will be $1 each. Volunteers and concessions SIGN UP GENIUS. Committee: Syrana Smith Perkins, Dushun McGowan, Gina Chambers, Lucy Beam, and Chaunte Sanders.
PLEASE GIVE TO KHSCD
- Use Amazon Smile and support “PTA North Carolina Congress dba Knightdale High School PTSA”
- Send in donations for KHSCD Care Depot! Student services works in conjunction with Back Pack Buddies and other local non-profits to sustain a food pantry and provide school supplies for our KHSCD families that are most in need. At this time we are in need of hygiene products and toilet paper- LINK. For more information go to LINK on Student Services. Amazon link to specific items that can be sent to KHSCD.
- Mrs. Fulbright’s AP Language and AP Seminar Library Donor’s Choose – She still needs $669. If you enter code LIFTOFF your tax deductible donation is matched. LINK to give.
- Join the Knights of the Roundtable with a tax deductible donation and support future events including Teacher Appreciation Week and Academic Recognition nights. Our goal is to have 30 members, at this time we have 19. LINK
Athletics – Booster Club – LINK
- 11/13 Winter Team Pictures afterschool.
- 11/15 Winter Sports REQUIRED Parent Info night -6pm Knight’s Theater. It is required that every athlete have at least one parent or guardian in attendance.
- Winter Booster Pass (reduced rates) family $140 and student $35. LINK
Student Services Update – From Erica Clarkson – November is College Application Month, so most activities are centered around this. We may also do some school wide activities such as College Questions of the day and Scavenger hunts.
- 11/2-11/6- Suicide Awareness/Prevention Classroom guidance lessons (1st semester English 12th graders)
- 11/2- Josten’s Makeup Ring/Grad Products Order day
- 11/3- ECU College Visit
- 11/6-11/8 College Application Month Presentations with 9th Graders
- 11/7, 11/9, 11/13- College Application assistance with Seniors (through English and Civics)
- 11/8- Pre-ACT (all 10th graders)
- 11/13-11/17- College Application Week
- Allow 9th graders to do practice applications
- Assist Seniors with College Applications, Residency Determination, and FAFSA (through Appts)
- 11/14- Financial Aid Info night
- 11/16- College Fair
- 11/18- FAFSA Workshop (10a-12p)
Student Services Team
- Erica Clarkson Dean of Students
- Taisa Sanders Freshman Class Advisor ONLY 480 students
- Athena Kifah Sophomore Advisor 400 students 10-12 grade alpha
- Kate Davis Junior Advisor 400 students 10-12 grade alpha
- Jessica Holmes Senior Advisor 400 students 10-12 grade alpha
- Jessica Martz Crisis/Care Depot
DATES TO REMEMBER – PTSA events & meetings
- 11/9,13 College Application Assistance – Student Services
- 11/13-17 College Application Week
- 11/13 Winter Sports Team Pictures
- 11/14 Financial Aid Info Night
- 11/15 Winter Sports Info Night 6pm Knight’s Theater – Required 1 parent.
- 11/16 College Fair
- 11/18 College FAFSA Workshop (10am-12pm)
- 11/20 Academic Recognition Night – 6:30pm Knight’s Theater
- Please note there is no December PTSA Meeting.
- 12/14 Josten Class Ring/Senior Order Make Up
- 12/15 Winter Wonderland Dance 8-11pm KHSCD Gym
- 12/21 Early Release Winter Break – Return 1/2
- 1/8 PTSA meeting 6pm Media Center
- 1/19 End of Quarter 2
- 1/22 Teacher Member Appreciation – Treats on Workday
- 1/27 ACT Bootcamp – Juniors are priority. Space available to other graders after juniors.
- 2/5 PTSA Meeting 6pm Media Center
- 2/5 Academic Recognition Night
- 2/8 Junior Night 6:30pm
- 2/15 Senior Graduation Parent Meeting 6:30pm
- 2/22 Rising Freshman Curriculum Night (for current 8th graders)
- 2/24 ACT Bootcamp – Juniors are priority. Space available to other graders after juniors.
- 3/5 PTSA Meeting 6pm Media Center
- 3/15 Senior Graduation Parent Meeting 9:30am
- 3/28 End of Quarter 3
- 3/29 Spring Break – Return 4/9
- 4/10 PTSA Meeting 6pm Media Center
- 4/18 Senior Graduation Parent Meeting 9:30 am
- 4/19 Cap and Gown Delivery
- 4/23 Academic Recognition Night
- 5/7-18 AP Exams
- 5/9 PTSA Meeting 6pm Media Center
- 5/8-12 Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/15 Make Up Cap and Gown Delivery
- 5/17 Senior Awards 6:30pm
- 5/25 Senior Spring Fling
- 6/8 Last Day of School
- 6/13 PTSA Meeting 6pm – Close the year and set new officers!